[MPlayer-users] stepping backwards, was: hi!

Ron Johnson ron.l.johnson at cox.net
Sat Dec 3 17:32:21 CET 2011

On 12/03/2011 12:13 AM, Oliver Seitz wrote:

>> this days, i'm editing video with ffmpeg, and I could really move forward
>> and backward frame-by-frame.
>> I can go forward with the "." , but, Backwards? anyone know?
>
> That question was discussed before.
> MPlayer can't do that, and will probably never can. There are two
> methods to do such a thing, one uses lots of ram, the other uses lots of
> time. None of them is going to be implemented.
>
> It could be done using an I-frame-only format such as MJPEG.

What about some sort of buffering, where internally mplayer takes
snapshots (using already existing code?) and stores them in a
doubly-linked ring buffer.

Whether it does this and the size of the ring buffer could be controlled
by command line switches.

--
Vegetarians eat vegetables, Humanitarians frighten me.