[MPlayer-users] Russian subtitles are RTL, which is wrong

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Dec 3 19:02:13 CET 2011

On Sat, Dec 03, 2011 at 07:18:56PM +0200, Alexander Yerenkow wrote:
> 2011/12/3 Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com>
>
> > On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 00:00, Alexander Yerenkow <yerenkow at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Hello all.
> > > I have win7 here, and mplayer, svn34118 and 33574;
> > > I'm trying to play video with subtitles, but if subtitles are in english
> > -
> > > they are fine. if they contain russian letters, then some letters are
> > > dropped, and order of letters are reversed.
> > > Tried both cp1251 and UTF-8 subtitle files, same thing.
> > >
> > > Is it right place to post this bug? :)
> > >

> > Is it all Russian subtitles files that show RTL, or just a single
> > file? If it is a single file then send it to me and I'll take a look.
> >

> It's all subtitles screwed I have;
> I even tried one write from scratch, I'm attaching it.

Looks just fine for me with -subcp cp1251.
Without it it's only nonsense and one of the characters is
indeed interpreted as a right-to-left marker.
If you are using a very old MPlayer version you might have to also set
-fribidi-charset or disable the feature completely with -noflip-hebrew
(don't ask me how it got that name...).