[MPlayer-users] Deinterlacing on the fly

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Dec 7 12:08:54 CET 2011

Grant <emailgrant <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Which is the best method of deinterlacing video on the fly?  I've
> tried several things after going over the manpage, but everything I've
> tried either doesn't remove the interlacing artifacts or is much too
> slow to be used on the fly.  I can deinterlace on the fly with "Yadif
> (2x)" in vlc but I'd prefer to use mplayer if possible.

(What did you try? yadif was originally written for MPlayer.)

There are three different approaches:
1) If you have a Nvidia graphic card and if you are using the binary drivers,
you can use -vo vdpau:deint=3
2) You can use yadif: -vf yadif=1 is best quality (including frame duplication),
if your hardware is not fast enough, try -vf yadif=3, -vf yadif=0 and finally 2.
3) Use an old deinterlacer, their quality is less good, I always used -vf
kerndeint before yadif existed.

All variants support pressing "D" to turn the deinterlacer off (and back on).

Just to make sure: You are not living in NTSC-country, your input is interlaced
and not telecined, right?

Carl Eugen