[MPlayer-users] Deinterlacing on the fly

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Dec 8 03:16:27 CET 2011

Grant <emailgrant <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > Just to make sure: You are not living in NTSC-country, your input is
> > interlaced and not telecined, right?
>
> I'm in the US viewing ripped DVDs from Netflix.

Then there is at least a chance that what you see is not interlaced, but
telecined video. To check, run mplayer -nosound and step through frames with
motion (with "."). If the frames alternate between progressive and "interlaced",
it means that the video is telecined.
In that case you should not use a deinterlacer (that possibly further damages
the original video) but a pullup filter (that may perfectly restore the original
progressive content). See the documentation for more info, but iirc -vf
pullup,softskip should be enough to see a progressive video.

Carl Eugen