[MPlayer-users] RTMP streaming seems to be problematic...

Sander Plas sander at seeas.nl
Fri Dec 9 17:46:28 CET 2011

On 12/09/2011 05:08 PM, Tom Evans wrote:
>> The following is a console log of a successful RTMP playback start. Between
>> the last "avformat_network_init(), this will become mandatory later." and
>> "libavformat file format detected" it takes nearly forever before something
>> happens.

> You need to supply logs with verbose level:

I do not want to demotivate anybody but as far as i know, RTMP support
has never worked reliably in mplayer (or ffmpeg) except for a few test
streams that were used by the guy who wrote the code.

Kostya did some work on it two years ago after i asked a question about
it on mplayer-dev-eng but afaik it never reached the point where "real
life" streams that you can find on the web (like live streams from radio
stations) can be played back without problems.

If anybody can prove me wrong or if anyone is willing to pick up the
development of this, i would be very pleased because it would finally
allow users of Yourmuze.FM (which uses MPlayer as decoder) to listen to
radio stations that are only broadcasting in RTMP.

If anyone is interested, i can supply a list of RTMP url's that our
users tried to add.