[MPlayer-users] Encoding using faac and menocder ignores bitrate?

Dominic Bird dominic at theark.uk.com
Wed Feb 23 14:49:12 CET 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: mplayer-users-bounces at mplayerhq.hu
[mailto:mplayer-users-bounces at mplayerhq.hu] On Behalf Of Dominic Bird
Sent: 23 February 2011 12:23
To: MPlayer usage questions, feature requests,bug reports
Subject: [MPlayer-users] Encoding using faac and menocder ignores
bitrate?

I'm using mplayer (win32) with the faac.dll to encode .aac audio. The
process works fine except it ignores the bitrate I set in my menocder
command. Anybody have any ideas? Using the same settings with faac.exe
means I get the correct bit rate.

Here's my command:

c:\mplayer\mencoder.exe FILEIN.mpg -o FILEOUT.aac -af channels=2 -mc 0
-ovc copy -oac faac -faacopts mpeg=4:object=2:tns:br=48 -of rawaudio

I read somewhere that faac actually uses the bitrate to specify per
channel... ie 48kb would mean 48kb x 2 for stereo. But I've tried
setting it at 24, 96, 48. Everything I encode ends up with around
123kbps (total).

Please help! I urgently need to sort this.

Many thanks!