[MPlayer-users] Have A Problem Converting a RM file to WAV

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsoasis.com
Mon Feb 28 14:26:52 CET 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 6:16 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

> Mark Phillips <mark <at> phillipsoasis.com> writes:
>
> > Thanks - both suggestions worked! I am curious as to why the ffmpeg
> > suggestion produced a 3.3 MB mp3 file, while the mplayer to wav then
> through
> > lame to mp3 produced a 3.3 MB mp3 file?
>
> I am curious as to if your question contains a typo or you don't know that
> FFmpeg uses lame to encode to mp3?

;-)

That would be telling....;-)

> Use ffmpeg -i The_Zero_Hour_08_14_44.rm -ab xxk outfile.mp3 (note the k!)
> change output file size with ffmpeg.

I am working on a script to change several of these rm's to mp3. I just
broke the commands into bits to see where the problem was:

test 1 (based on googling for how to solve this problem):
mplayer -vo null -vc null -ao pcm:waveheader -demuxer lavf
The_Zero_Hour_08_14_44.rm
lame audiodump.wav audiodump.mp3

test 2 (your suggestions.....and a great one indeed!:
ffmpeg -i The_Zero_Hour_08_14_44.rm outfile.mp3

outfile.mp3 is 13 MB
audiodump.mp3 is 3.3 MB.

I expected a similar output file from both approaches, since they use the
same programs. I don't really care about the size of the files, it was just
a curiosity.

Thanks again!