[MPlayer-users] Using the D510MO Mini-ITX platform for full HD playback

László Monda laci at monda.hu
Sat Jan 8 00:55:18 CET 2011

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 12:30 AM, Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi> wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-01-08 at 00:11 +0100, László Monda wrote:
>> Skipping the loop filter made the playback super smooth.  The quality
>> difference is barely noticable, only when I watch the screen up close
>> like an obsessive maniac.
>
> The speed increase from skipping the loop filter is smaller than the
> variation in CPU requirements between files, so it may not work for all
> files. If you were not using multithreaded decoding before, then being
> able to play a file single-threaded with loopfilter disabled means you
> should be able to play it at full quality with threaded decoding.

If so, then a VPDAU-enabled graphics card may play later.

>> Speaking of VDPAU accelerated playback I'm interested whether it's
>> worth buying a feature set C card vs. a feature set B card.  Looks
>> like C has support for MPEG-4 Part 2 (a.k.a MPEG-4 ASP) but I don't
>> know how popular that codec is or will be.  (I don't wanna buy such a
>> card now that everything works without it, just interested.)
>
> It's a relatively popular codec but much faster to decode than h264, so
> even systems with relatively slow CPUs do not need hardware decoding for
> performance reasons. I'm not sure how power consumption would compare
> between software and hardware decoding for it.

I'll measure the power consumption later.  As for now, I'm not sure
how much power the system draws by itself and I'm also interested how
much it'd draw with an additional graphics card inside it when being
idle.

László Monda <http://monda.hu>