[MPlayer-users] Fullscreen only if 1080p

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Jan 10 22:32:53 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 01:20:21PM -0400, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> Right now I just hit "f" to enter fullscreen mode but I have to do this
> every time I play any 1080p because otherwise it opens it within the
> window-manager border and it looks obviously distorted.

Note that if it looks distorted that's fully and exclusively your
windows-manager's fault, normally you should only lose a bit of the
lower and right border.
I have noticed that some window-managers went over to not allowing
windows larger than the screen size (and also disabling ALT-dragging),
I can only assume in an attempt to make sure to eliminate any advantage
over Windows (like being able to use any application even on the
lowest-resolution screens), but even then MPlayer sets hints to indicate
that they should preserve the aspect.
Note that by changing the aspect_scaling function in video_out.h to always
return 1 you can make MPlayer add black borders to keep aspect even in
windowed mode (though it's possible only -vo gl will handle it right).