[MPlayer-users] testing the playability of files?

Uwe Dippel udippel at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 12:03:38 CET 2011

I'd like to go through my collection of files, with movies, audio,
subtitles, text-files and much more. There are now 1000+. I don't feel
like typing one by one and test it, I'd rather recursively go through
all and have mplayer taking a shot at it, and decide if it can handle
the file, and subsequently inform me about its findings.
I was actually thinking of having mplayer play all files for, let's say,
10 seconds, and then obtaining some stuatus.

mplayer though seems to be happy even if it can't play:
$ touch demo
$ mplayer demo
MPlayer 1.0rc4-4.4.5 (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
control.

Playing demo.
Seek failed

Exiting... (End of file)
$ echo $?
0
$

I was (and still am) hoping to get some status info from mplayer, if the
file is one that can go into my collection (database) or just not. If
mplayer can't handle it, I don't need (to see) it.

Any suggestion?

Uwe