[MPlayer-users] "Cache not filling!" regularly causing problems...

Manuel Reimer Manuel.Spam at nurfuerspam.de
Wed Jan 26 19:48:32 CET 2011

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> You should describe the _exact_ problem, the message only means that
> MPlayer has been waiting more than 100 ms without any data arriving.
> That it takes more than this to receive data is not unusual when
> your internet connection isn't so great, but MPlayer shouldn't
> be waiting.
> You should set -cache and/or -cache-min to larger values to avoid that.

Unfortunately you are right. The "nice cache" is a feature of gecko-mediaplayer.
Seems like gecko-mediaplayer (or the frontend "gnome-mplayer", where it bases
on) has an internal cache and so starts to cache the whole video (independent on
video size) and gives nice feedback of progress. This progress view also works
if I pause the video.

MPlayer itself works much better if I increase cache (set to 10MB now) but I
still don't have feedback. If I pause, then I see that mplayer continues to fill
cache by looking to my network switch (flashing LEDs) but not on console or
anywhere else.

Would be nice to know how much of the video is already on my side. Is there a
chance to add this feature to MPlayer, so I can follow the progress of video
caching on console?

Thank you very much in advance

Yours

Manuel