[MPlayer-users] Getting the best sound from mplayer

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 03:18:39 CEST 2011

I'm interested in getting the best, purest, most direct sound from
Blu-Ray rips in mplayer.  I've tried:

mplayer -ao alsa:device=hw=0.0 -format s24le video.mkv

but the result sounds like it's been altered by dmix or a software
volume control or another digital alterer.  I think the problem
doesn't exist with DVD rips.  Does anyone know why this is happening?

I'm also curious about the downmix from 6-channel audio in a Blu-Ray
rip for my 2-channel USB DAC.  Does that take place in mplayer or
elsewhere?

- Grant