[MPlayer-users] Getting the best sound from mplayer

Mon Jul 18 11:29:29 CEST 2011

Hi Clément Bœsch!

 On 2011.07.18 at 09:14:02 +0200, Clément Bœsch wrote next:

> > In mplayer. This is probably where you lose most quality, anyway. If you
> > are forced to listen to multichannel signal on stereo system, the
> > default resampler might not be what you desire. Mplayer supports
> > downmixing for headphones (use -channels 6 -af volume=-5,hrtf. If you
> > hear cracking of sound at loud scenes, use bigger volume reduction, like
> > volume=-10,hrtf) and you can emulate various multichannel-to-stereo
> > conversion formulas, like
> [...]
>
> The downmix is automatically done by mplayer (a pan filter is added in
> case the codec doesn't support the downmix). You can disable it with
> -channels 6 for example.

I know, but that's exactly where problem lies. Some codecs, like ac3 for
example, have "internal downmix" that works way too strange. Which is
why using -channels 6 -af pan ... is much better, IMHO. I simply don't
know any other way of mplayer not using these strange ways of downmixing
and always rely on pan filter. It would've been much better if mplayer
only used codec information only to get channel order and could always
downmix with audio filter, not inside codec..

--

Vladimir