[MPlayer-users] How to fade between videos

Oliver Seitz info at vtnd.de
Sat Jun 25 06:57:55 CEST 2011

>       I'm  using the -shuffle -loop 0 options to randomly play many videos and keep looping. Is there anyway to make the transition between videos more smooth, like using some fading effect or anything similar?

Hi!

I'm not sure if I know all the tricks, but to my knowledge there is no
possibility to do that with mplayer alone. And, a cross-fade effect is
very hard to obtain.

It is possible though to fade out one video and after that fade in
another using a "transparent black" bitmap overlay (-vf bmovl). You
would need to control mplayer in slave mode by some other script or
program that successively adjusts the opacity of the overlay from
transparent to opaque, start the next video, and make the overlay
transparent again in little steps.

To achieve a real cross-fade effect you would have to use two video
players on top of each other, and the player would need to be able to
play video semi-transparent. While modern video hardware could assist
the software in this sophisticated task, I do not know of any video
player software that can do that.

Greets,
Kiste