[MPlayer-users] why can I watch it with gnome-mplayer but not with mplayer?

Mahdiyar Noorbala mahdiarnt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 23:48:11 CET 2011

Hi

This should be a very elementary question. I have a URL like
http://SERVERNAME/file.wmv. When I enter it in "Open Location" in
gnome-mpLayer it connects to the server and plays the stream. But when
I run

mplayer "URL"

in the terminal I get a crazy endless loop of

Playing URL.
Resolving SERVERNAME for AF_INET6...
Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: SERVERNAME
Resolving SERVERNAME for AF_INET...
Connecting to server SERVERNAME[xxx.xx.xxx.xx]: 80...
Cache size set to 320 KBytes

I think my usage of mplayer in the terminal is correct, since I can
watch other URL's. It's only this specific one that doesn't work (I am
not authorized to write the URL because they want it to be
private!!!).

So my question is: Does anyone know why I get this loop? Or is it
possible to see how mplayer is called by gnome-mplayer and what output
messages it generates?

I use gnome-mplayer 0.9.9.2 and mplayer 1.0rc4-4.4.5 on Ubuntu 10.10.

Thanks,
Mahdiyar