[MPlayer-users] why can I watch it with gnome-mplayer but not with mplayer?

Mahdiyar Noorbala mahdiarnt at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 09:29:38 CET 2011

Hmm... I think I found the answer. I ran gnome-mplayer in a terminal
with -verbose option and found out that it seeks the URL as
mmshttp://HOSTNAME/file.wmv. This resolves the problem.

But actually now I face a different problem: The -dumpstream option of
mplayer doesn't work. I get the following message

Playing mmshttp://HOSTNAME/file.wmv.
STREAM_ASF, URL: mmshttp://HOSTNAME/file.wmv
Resolving HOSTNAME for AF_INET6...
Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: HOSTNAME
Resolving HOSTNAME for AF_INET...
Connecting to server HOSTNAME[xxx.xx.xxx.xx]: 80...
Resolving HOSTNAME for AF_INET6...
Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: HOSTNAME
Resolving HOSTNAME for AF_INET...
Connecting to server HOSTNAME[xxx.xx.xxx.xx]: 80...
Cache size set to 1125 KBytes
Stream not seekable!

and then it halts (doesn't even show the prompt).