[MPlayer-users] Mplayer doesn't play RTSP stream anymore...

andrea sarkiaponius at alice.it
Mon Mar 14 20:54:57 CET 2011

Hi,

I've been using mplayer for a long time to listen to or to dump streams
like the following:

rtsp://mm6.rai.it/radiofonia/radio3/napoli/uomini_profeti/2010/uomini_profeti2010_09_19.ra

They are actually Real Audio files that you can only access via RTSP,
not just download.

Recently mplayer started to give the following error after some minutes,
and without playing or downloading anything:

rtsp: read error.
librtsp: buffer overflow in rtsp_get

I really can't figure out what's happening. It cannot be a network
problem because gstreamer and ffmpeg can play those streams without any
problem. Unfortunately, both lack an option like -bandwidth which, set
to a high enough value, allows mplayer to dump a 45 minutes stream in
about one minute.

The only two things that happened recently to my system are: 1) I
changed ISP, now I have TelecomItalia, with a new ADSL router; 2) I
upgraded my Debian system from Lenny to Squeeze.

Any suggestion will be much appreciated.

Best regards.

--
andrea <sarkiaponius at alice.it>