[MPlayer-users] Can not using harddup cause problems with streaming files?

Dominic Bird dominic at theark.uk.com
Tue Mar 15 14:23:31 CET 2011

I've been creating FLV files using mencoder for use over the web in
flowplayer. The programmes are vary in duration but are generally around
an hour. What we're find when using pretty much any front end player (JW
player/Flowplayer) is that sometimes the stream will stop after a random
amount of time. Sometimes it will be after 15 minutes, sometimes 30
minutes and sometimes it will play throughout (this is the same file).

My command for encoding is as follows:

[i] -o [o.flv] -vf yadif=2,scale=512:288 -af
channels=2,resample=44100,volnorm=1 -mc 0 -ovc x264 -x264encopts
global_header:level_idc=30:bframes=0:bitrate=448:preset=veryfast:tune=fa
stdecode -oac faac -faacopts mpeg=4:object=2:br=64:raw -of lavf

When encoding I usually get this message on the first frame from MPEG2
files:

1 duplicate frame

Muxer frame buffer cannot allocate memory

The files appear to be fine and work ok. If I encode as follows
(including the harddup option]...

[i] -o [o.flv] -vf yadif=2,scale=512:288,harddup -af
channels=2,resample=44100,volnorm=1 -mc 0 -ovc x264 -x264encopts
global_header:level_idc=30:bframes=0:bitrate=448:preset=veryfast:tune=fa
stdecode -oac faac -faacopts mpeg=4:object=2:br=64:raw -of lavf

Then I receive this message on the first frame but without the muxer
error.

1 duplicate frame

Now I haven't compared streaming the files as yet and can't see it
making any difference but has anybody had any experience of files
stopping on playback? I've muxed the same files as MP4 and got the exact
same issue with both players. To be honest I think its more of a
router/connection issue but I just wanted to check first.

Is there anything wrong with not including the harddup option when
creating files for streaming?

Many thanks!