[MPlayer-users] Most annoying long-standing bugs in Mplayer

Wed Mar 23 16:58:49 CET 2011

Hi Karel Choros!

 On 2011.03.23 at 15:07:39 +0100, Karel Choros wrote next:

> I have been using mplayer since, eh, 2001 ? Not that long ago, there were
> two annoying bugs introduced:
>
> - using pulseaudio, when pausing and then resuming with SPACE key, the film
> doesn't always restart - I have to press arrow left then arrow right to
> resume playing.
>
> - the G  & Y subtitle jump keys have changed their behaviour from previous /
> next subtitle to something like "add 1213 ms to the subdelay and substract
> 1234 from the subdelay"
>
> I am using current CVS version (say, yesterday), compiled at Ubuntu 10.10
> system - but it has been the same for last year or so.
>
> Does anybody else have these problems? Why they aren't being fixed?

Oh yay, let's make a thread like this! Who knows, maybe some of these
bugs are small mistakes and can actually get fixed by someone on a whim?

Regarding your first problem, I never experienced it. And I'm using
pulse output before it even appeared in official mplayer, hmm (they had
some trouble due to pulse driver rename back then so it was unofficial
patch). I can't really suggest anything, I think this problem is
specific to you.

About next/previous subtitle. These keys work ONLY with external text
subtitles. They obviously don't work with vobsubs, and if you are
playing stream with embedded subtitles, only "previous subtitle" works.
If you press "next sub" key, it will give strange result because mplayer
doesn't know about next subtile yet, last displayed one is "last in
stream" for it. There is probably no way to fix it other than extracting
subtitle before playing.

If you press "next sub" by accident, press some key to reset subtitle
delay, like
n sub_delay abs 1
in input.conf.

--