[MPlayer-users] Most annoying long-standing bugs in Mplayer

Karel Choros karelchoros at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 11:21:46 CET 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 9:22 PM, Reimar Döffinger
<Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de>wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 03:07:39PM +0100, Karel Choros wrote:
> > - using pulseaudio, when pausing and then resuming with SPACE key, the
> film
> > doesn't always restart - I have to press arrow left then arrow right to
> > resume playing.
>
> That sounds like a really old pulseaudio bug. There's a workaround for
> that in MPlayer though (which does cause really annoying desync after
> unpause
> though). I have a suspicion that you are using really old versions of
> both MPlayer and pulseaudio, though I admit that doesn't quite match
> what you say at the end.
> Unless it's a new pulseaudio bug, wouldn't be that surprising.
> On the other hand I use Ubuntu 10.10 and have never experienced the issue.
>
> > - the G  & Y subtitle jump keys have changed their behaviour from
> previous /
> > next subtitle to something like "add 1213 ms to the subdelay and
> substract
> > 1234 from the subdelay"
>
> Hm, if you can find out when it changed it might help.
> But I think almost nobody knew that and how they were supposed to work,
> so they simply haven't been tested in a looong time.
>
> > Does anybody else have these problems? Why they aren't being fixed?
>
> I guess that should clarify that it is because
> 1) "Nobody" seems to have the issue
> 2) None of the responsible developers even knew the feature existed,
>   which makes it hard to fix

 And I thought that everybody has these issues.. :-) (I have a pretty
standard system (though incrementally updated since .. forever I think), I
run of the SVN..)

So sorry about that..

1]  The jumping backward / forward in subtitles is documented though:
               y and g
                   Step forward/backward in the subtitle list.

and doesn't work for me.. log from configure is included. anythin else I
should include?

2] Ah, silly me, looking at it now it looks the problem is when playing over
ALSA not pulse.. I got the ao priorities mixed up somehow.. Will switch to
pulse now..

$ mplayer  -vo nul MOV08629.MPG
MPlayer SVN-r33094-4.4.5 (C) 2000-2011 MPlayer Team
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
control.
Playing MOV08629.MPG.
Cache fill:  0.00% (0 bytes)
MPEG-PS file format detected.
VIDEO:  MPEG1  640x480  (aspect 1)  25.000 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
Load subtitles in ./
Cache not responding!
Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.
Forced audio codec: mad
Requested audio codec family [mad] (afm=libmad) not available.
Enable it at compilation.
Opening audio decoder: [mp3lib] MPEG layer-2, layer-3
AUDIO: 32000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 64.0 kbit/6.25% (ratio: 8000->128000)
Selected audio codec: [mp3] afm: mp3lib (mp3lib MPEG layer-2, layer-3)
[AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: No such file or
directory
AO: [alsa] 32000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
A:   2.6 (02.5) of 321.2 (05:21.1)  0.3% 44%

[hit ^C]

MPlayer interrupted by signal 2 in module: enable_cache

MPlayer interrupted by signal 2 in module: play_audio