[MPlayer-users] problem with Too many audio packets in the buffer

Philip Walden pwaldenlinux at comcast.net
Thu Mar 24 19:53:42 CET 2011

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 09:27:50AM -0700, Philip Walden wrote:
>
>> $ mencoder -oac lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts
>> format=mpeg2:muxrate=25000:vbuf_size=1194:abuf_size=64 -vf
>> scale=720:480,harddup -ovc lavc -lavdopts debug=0 -lavcopts autoaspect=1:vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=8000:acodec=ac3_fixed:abitrate=128:keyint=18
>> -subdelay 20000 -ofps 30000/1001 -mc 0 -noskip -af
>> lavcresample=48000 -srate 48000 -o test.mpg
>> NOSN_CanWeMakeItToMars.mp4
>>
> Uh, have you tried without -mc 0 -noskip?
> The combination of -ofps, re-encoding and this can't really work.
> The only case where you should use these is
> 1) You use -ovc copy because that's not going to work without them
> 2) If for some reason it actually works better (should be quite rare).

Yes the encode completes if -mc 0 and -nokip are removed. However, they
were there at the suggestion of the man page:

"MPEG muxer (-mpegopts): The  MPEG  muxer can generate 5 types of
streams, each of which has reasonable default parameters that the user
can override. Generally, when generating MPEG files, it is advisable to
disable MEncoder's frame-skip code (see -noskip, -mc as well as the
harddup and softskip video filters)."

Honestly, I had thought I had tried removing these parameters earlier
and ran into severe A/V sync problems (video was 2x the audio) on these
files. However, I am not seeing these now. So I may stumble upon the
video that was giving problems earlier, but for now thanks for spotting
the problem. The man page is unclear in this area.

--
Linuxfest Northwest - Apr 30-May 1, 2011
<http://www.linuxfestnorthwest.org/>