[MPlayer-users] Problems with UDFFindFile

Kip Warner kip at thevertigo.com
Sun Mar 27 23:25:36 CEST 2011

Hey list,

I would have posted somewhere more specific to libdvdnav, but
dvd-devel at lists.sourceforge.net appears to be dead now.

I have a DVD on my hard drive unpacked in the usual format (VIDEO_TS
directory, etc.) and not in an ISO. If I play it back, like so, it works
no problem.

   $ mplayer -dvd-device . dvd://

If I burn it to disc (I am using a dual layer 8.5 GB, since it is a
large film), libdvdnav appears to choke and I can't seem to play it back
off of the disc

   $ mplayer -dvd-device /dev/sr0 dvd://2
   MPlayer SVN-r33094-4.4.5 (C) 2000-2011 MPlayer Team

   Playing dvd://2.
   libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.10 for DVD access
   libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
   libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP failed
   libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.BU.
   Can't open VMG info!
   No stream found to handle url dvd://2

   Exiting... (End of file)

It's very strange because the disc is mounted as a regular iso9660
filesystem. If I perform an md5 checksum on the files on the disc and
back on the hard drive, they match perfectly. If I play the individual
files back off of the disc or on the hard drive, they play fine. e.g.

   $ mplayer /media/dvd/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.BUP

Any ideas?

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred