[MPlayer-users] can't play megamind or train your dragon on linux (ubuntu 9.04)

Mike Castle dalgoda+mplayer at gmail.com
Tue May 10 16:39:01 CEST 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 7:03 PM, a a <you2bepie at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I recently purchased the blu-ray/dvd combo pack of both of these disks. I normally watch on my linux box. I can read other dvds fine but I cannot read these two dvds. I realize this is likely not directly mplayer issue but unsure of the exact layering. Also I'm unsure if it is a problem with the decryption keys (do they still change keys on plain dvds?) or some other issue (different container or encoding).
>
> I can read the dvds on my window box with total media.
>
> (This is the dvd's  not blu-rays I'm trying to read on linux). I am able to play other dvds such as braveheart and rogerdodger just fine.

FWIW, I watched Megamind just this last week on my machine using a
version of mplayer pulled from just before the recent SCM switchover.
I watched Dragon some months ago.  Both were library copies, so I no
longer have them handy for watching, but, it is possible.

While it is possible that they re-mastered the versions you have
compared to the DVD-only versions I watched, I would not think that
likely.  I assume there are licensing costs associated with mastering
DVDs with encryption technologies and I doubt they'd bother to redo
those for the dual packs.

Be sure that you are using dvdnav: instead of dvd:.   I almost never
use dvd: any more.  If your installed version of mplayer doesn't
support that, complain to your vendor and then rebuild yourself.

Finally, I've found that occasionally there will be some bad cached
information, and that wiping ~/.dvdcss helps sometimes.

mrc