[MPlayer-users] mplayer works with file, fails with piped file

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Thu May 12 12:43:41 CEST 2011

On 12.05.2011 10:53, Tom Evans wrote:

> Files are seekable, pipes are not. AVIs don't play well with non
> seekable streams, and I don't think concatenating AVI files is the
> 'correct' method of joining AVI files.

as I understand it, he wrote that he concatenated files with mencoder.
I would do that the following way:

mencoder file1 file2 -o file.out -oac copy -ovc copy

With that, I did never encounter problems. If the files differ in video
format/size and/or audio format/rate etc, I encode the single parts into
the same common denominator and join them later.

The only drawback is that it doesn't work well if there is some audio or
video missing from one of the files, so they don't get joined that
nicely. I have no real solution for that a.t.m.

--
cheers,
Alex