[MPlayer-users] running mplayer in background on xubuntu

Burghard Bode CcahSart at gmx.de
Wed May 18 00:12:31 CEST 2011

Hi,

I want to run mplayer in background on Linux (xubuntu), without
stopping the playback. I want to hear the sound and see the video
window, but do not see the command-line stuff.

I used the following command:

mplayer test.mpg -> works fine.
mplayer -vo xv -ao pulse test-mpg -> works fine too.
mplayer test.mpg > /dev/null -> works fine

but if I try:
mplayer test.mpg & -> Runs, I can see the process, but do not get any
output (I think it is intended?)

mplayer -vo xv -ao pulse test-mpg -> Does not work, too.

I need this commands to start mplayer with a PHP Script (exec), but I
don't want to wait until the video is finished)

Thanks