[MPlayer-users] Cannot play SBTVD (ISDB-Tb) stream

Marcos Felipe Rasia de Mello marcosfrm at gmail.com
Thu May 26 15:58:01 CEST 2011

Hi, I hope I'm posting in the right place.

I live in Brazil and we adopted an ISDB (Japan) based digital TV
broadcast standard [1]. I use a PixelView PlayTV USB SBTVD adapter,
supported by the kernel:
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/PixelView_PlayTV_USB_SBTVD

I created the file channels.conf and put it in ~/.mplayer. When I try,
however, play nothing happens, mplayer is stuck:

---
$ mplayer dvb://
MPlayer SVN-r33485-4.5.2 (C) 2000-2011 MPlayer Team
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing dvb://.
dvb_tune Freq: 515142857
TS file format detected.
VIDEO MPEG2(pid=273) AUDIO MPA(pid=274) NO SUBS (yet)!  PROGRAM N. 0
---

The best I could get was stuttering video with no audio using
"-demuxer lavf". The signal is good, because VLC plays fine.

$ mplayer -demuxer lavf dvb:// &>tmp.txt

http://pastebin.com/pETqmA6M

I'm using MPlayer SVN builds from
https://launchpad.net/~motumedia/+archive/mplayer-daily in Ubuntu
11.04 x86-64.