[MPlayer-users] Fresh svn mplayer crashes on many ac3 streams

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun May 29 11:10:34 CEST 2011

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 01:01:17AM +0400, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> Anyhow it's a bit unfair to blame it on ".0" here, I think, since this
> issue is related to avx as well and 4.6.0 was first stable release to
> include avx support. It's, like, not gccs fault that avx support
> appeared in .0 version and not some other..

In the about 10 years since I've been with MPlayer I don't think
I've ever seen a .0 gcc version that didn't miscompile some
part of it.

> I can turn off avx or ftree-vectorize, it's np to me - though I expected
> some serious speedups from gcc 4.6.0 and avx support, like shown in some
> phoronix benchmarks, for example
> http://www.phoronix.com/data/img/results/intel_avx_gcc/6.png
> http://www.phoronix.com/data/img/results/intel_avx_gcc/7.png

If I was mean I'd ask if they actually checked the results.
It's really easy to be fast when you generate incorrect code.
Though the real point is that that was a pure-C program for
compute-intensive stuff with probably a lot of embarrasingly
parallel code.
Which is to say, it probably has no relevance to MPlayer speed.
Also if you care so much for speed you should probably rather
compile with Intel's ICC compiler, for personal use
(or something like that) it is free of cost IIRC.