[MPlayer-users] ERROR: mencoder may not support libx264.so

andrew andrew at andrews-corner.org
Fri Nov 4 21:46:04 CET 2011

On Fri, Nov 04, 2011 at 06:56:02PM +0000, Thomas Boehm wrote:

> As I wrote earlier I use the MOTU repository as suggested here
>
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html
>
> If I can't trust this one to be working, which one can I trust then? I
> thought that the MOTU repository is the "official" and recommended one.

There are a few guides on the Ubuntu Forums which will allow you to
build your own copies. First have a look here for some detailed
instructions on how to build x264:

HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

You do not have to build FFmpeg from here as well, although that would
be a good idea. Next follow this guide:

Howto: Build the svn MPlayer under the latest release version of Ubuntu

This guide does not normally build MEncoder so simply omit the lines
in ./configure:

--disable-mencoder --disable-x264

and perhaps also add in the 'dev' files for lame and faac. Then you
should be right to go. Support exists in both of these threads if you
run into trouble...

Andrew
--
You think that's air you're breathing now?