[MPlayer-users] playing / pausing a growing media file without restarting

David L. Emerson demerson3x at angelbase.com
Sun Nov 27 04:22:34 CET 2011

On Sat 26 Nov 2011, Ingo Brückl wrote:
> David L. Emerson wrote on Sat, 26 Nov 2011 17:09:43 -0800:
>
> > So I tried the graphical gmplayer, but gmplayer is even more stupid: If 20
> > seconds of content have been downloaded when gmplayer is started, then even
> > if the download speed is faster than the playback speed, gmplayer stops
> > playing at that 20 second mark. It's like it makes a copy of the file as it
> > exists when playback is started, instead of accessing the file (which is
> > growing ... command-line mplayer doesn't seem to have any problem doing
> > this)
>
> The graphical gmplayer doesn't behave that way (and doesn't make a copy).
> It passes the filename to mplayer which basically does then what the
> command-line mplayer would do.

Well, conjectures of *why* it is doing what it is doing aside, this is what I am
observing. If it's a big download or slow connection, I will have to restart
the media several times, and have gotten into the habit of just waiting until
the darned thing has finished downloading so I don't have to have viewing
interrupted.

I am using debian oldstable with (I believe) Marillat's mplayer, which is an svn
snapshot from mid-2008. Is it possible that this older version behaved this
way?

(Sorry I neglected to include that info in my first post)

I used lsof and compared the outputs of mplayer vs gmplayer and the substantive
difference was that gmplayer was using a few pipes, whereas mplayer was not:

COMMAND    PID  USER   FD   TYPE     DEVICE     SIZE      NODE NAME
gmplayer 17963 david    5r  FIFO        0,6           13452904 pipe
gmplayer 17963 david    6w  FIFO        0,6           13452904 pipe
gmplayer 17964 david    5r  FIFO        0,6           13452904 pipe
gmplayer 17964 david    6w  FIFO        0,6           13452904 pipe

Thanks!
~David.