[MPlayer-users] Mplayer and multicast audio-video stream

jacopo mondi j.mondi at voltaelectronics.com
Fri Oct 14 19:00:43 CEST 2011

Hi everyone,
   we are trying to receive and play a video and audio stream coming
from an ACTi video server, using multicast as stream delivery method.

If only video stream is enabled mplayer works has expected (we are using
VDPAU as video output).
If we also enable the audio stream, audio and video stream are not
synchronized.

We have played around with the -delay option, and forcing
a negative value it seems that audio and video stream play well, but
totally out of sync.

If we pass a positive value, the video stream is delayed of the effective
number of seconds, but playback quality decrease and becomes unusable.

Is anyone successfully using mplayer with an audio/video stream
delivered in multicast?
We have also tried other video servers from other manufactuers, and we
are facing similar problems also with them.
ACTi in first place, stated that mplayer itself can be the problem,
because in their test, with VLC everything works (we cannot confirm
that).

I can provide log and other informations if can be useful.
Our platform is Ubuntu 11.04, with standard mplayer. VDPAU is the video
output, PCM is the audio codec and H.264 the video codec.

Thank you in advance