[MPlayer-users] Problem: some videos freeze, other very similar videos do not--difference might be just in resolution (pixels)--how to convert?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Oct 19 10:59:23 CEST 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 06:34:29PM -0400, Randy Kramer wrote:
> Carl,
>
> On Monday 17 October 2011 06:08:48 pm Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > Randy Kramer <rhkramer <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > > rhk <at> s17:/back2/videos/music_vid$ mplayer video1.flv
> > > MPlayer dev-SVN-r26940
> >
> > This is ancient, please use current svn.
>
> That is the latest version of mplayer that is in the standard apt-get
> repository for Debian 5.0 (Lenny).  Actually, I did upgrade since the
> previous time you replied to me, but that only changed the version from
> version:
>
> Version: 1:1.0.rc2svn20080706-0.1lenny1
>
> to version:
>
> Version: 1:1.0.rc2svn20080706-0.1lenny2

That version is so old that it will have massive issue with all kinds
of H.264 files.
This particular issue looks like something with time stamps, things like
-fps and -nocorrect-pts might be worth trying, but honestly anything
older than rc4 is simply unsuitable for H.264 files, particularly recently
encoded ones.
Nearly 4 year old software just doesn't cut it when you want to play
the latest multimedia files.