[MPlayer-users] DVDNAV chooses the wrong title (?)

Henry defsyn at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 01:43:46 CEST 2011

> And possibly related, with monster's inc. if I play via
>
> mplayer dvdnav://
> sts.mplayerhq.hu/mailman/listinfo/mplayer-users<https://lists.mplayerhq.hu/mailman/listinfo/mplayer-users>

mplayer is a great movie player. But playing encrypted dvd videos,
unfortunately, has not been it's strong
suit. But much progress has been made over the years. But if there's any
glaring weakness in the movie player,
you have just pointed it out.

Libdvdcss is used by Totem, and other linux media players. And they seem to
do better for some reason handling
the same dvd's. But I don't know enough to tell you the reason why. Only
enough to say that it is a very difficult problem
to figure out. And that the mplayer team has made tremendous strides and
progress over the years in resolving this
problem. Personally, I prefer mplayer even if I do have to start over again
in the middle of the movie after choosing scenes
to find the scene where mplayer from some unknown reason has started to play
the beginning of the movie after having
watched the movie halfway through.