[MPlayer-users] Solved! (was Re: Problem: some videos freeze, other very similar videos do not--difference might be just in resolution (pixels)--how to convert?)

Ron Johnson ron.l.johnson at cox.net
Fri Oct 21 23:37:56 CEST 2011

On 10/21/2011 04:22 PM, Randy Kramer wrote:
> On Friday 21 October 2011 04:48:12 pm Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 10/21/2011 03:39 PM, Randy Kramer wrote:
>>> (Other conversions that I tried, like to .avi format resulted in files
>>> about the same size, but noticeable deterioration in the video (and
>>> preserved the 1000 fps, which seemed not to cause a problem (as a .avi)
>>> for mplayer.)
>>
>> Interesting.  What about to .mp4?
>
> I haven't tried .mp4--I might, but I won't be in any hurry to do so.  The
> conversion I called avi shows this when played in mplayer--is MPEG-4 the same
> as or related to .mp4?

Yes.  It, like AVI and FLV, are containers for the compressed and
interwoven audio and video.

The thing is that FLV (FLash Video) and AVI are outdated and limited in
their features.  MP4 (aka M4V) and MKV are the current preferred
formats.  (I don't know, though, if ffmpeg supports MKV.)

--
Supporting World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification