[MPlayer-users] Solved! (was Re: Problem: some videos freeze, other very similar videos do not--difference might be just in resolution (pixels)--how to convert?)

Randy Kramer rhkramer at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 12:28:00 CEST 2011

Reimar,

Thanks for that!  Some followups below:

On Saturday 22 October 2011 06:06:05 am Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 04:39:46PM -0400, Randy Kramer wrote:
> > I got the problem solved.
> >
> > It turns out it was related to the 1000 fps for the container. ("Seems
> > stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 1000.00...")
>
> 1000 fps really means variable frame-rate in MPlayer.

Thanks--it's good to learn something.  Does it matter whether that 1000 fps is
from the container or for (from?) the codec?

Would you expect that whatever created the video also intended the 1000 fps to
mean variable frame rate?

> Most likely there's something wrong with the first frame's time stamp.

Do you know of any sort of more "surgical" tool that might let me examine and
edit the first frame's time stamp (and/or the container frame rate) without
doing a conversion on the entire file?

> I think your MPlayer version might be old enough that -demuxer lavf
> helps.

Looks like it, as there is a -demuxer option in man mplayer.  But, I normally
(other than when testing) use gmplayer with a playlist.  I'm sure I could
answer this question for myself with a little digging, but since I'm asking
questions anyway, I'll ask: is there a way to apply the -demuxer option to
only certain files (not all are the same format) in a (plain text) playlist?

> But as said, I am quite confident that this is just a result of using
> too old code.

Ok, that's interesting also--so you think that if I upgraded mplayer, it could
handle the 1000 fps framerate (for the container) and the different 29.nn
frame rate for the codec without choking, as my current mplayer does?

Maybe I should get more serious about replacing my system soon (and doing the
entire upgrade, Debian 6.0, kde 4, etc.

Thanks again!
Randy Kramer