[MPlayer-users] rying to use mplayer with knoppix ...

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Sep 1 19:12:52 CEST 2011

Albretch Mueller <lbrtchx <at> gmail.com> writes:

> >> The assumption that you install programs in a certain static context does
> >> not make sense to a lot of people out there and quite frankly it creates
> >> lots of problems,
>
> >I absolutely agree.
> >That is the reason why we always suggest to compile current svn head with
> >"./configure && make".
> ~
>  "static context" means something different when you are using a live
> CD. If I do as you suggest I would "install" mplayer to RAM, which
> isn't really an installation

I absolutely never "install" MPlayer, I always run it from the build directory
(or the place where I copied the MPlayer executable).

>  Notice also that if you keep configuration and supporting data files
> such as codecs in external drives/partitions (in my case I use a USB
> powered microdrive), you have no way of knowing before hand what
> denomination your hardware/OS will give to the device under which the
> directory tree will be

I honestly don't understand: What means "codecs in external partitions"?
Of course you don't always know where a device will be mounted, but this neither
matters if an MPlayer binary is saved there (it only has to find some enabled
shared libraries as you current, broken version does) nor when the media file
you are trying to play is on the device.

>  Now, if you could give the various mplayer configuration options at
> run time you could write a script to customize mplayer's start up
> process. This is the flexibility some people need

Could you elaborate on what you are trying to achieve, what does not work and
what you expect from us? I don't think there are many media players that support
more flexible configuration than MPlayer.

(Or do you really mean that open source decoder loading should be configurable
at runtime? Some here will tell you that their "high-quality" shared objects
will solve your problem, but please believe me, by compiling everything you need
- remember ./configure && make - you will find an easier solution. Don't forget
that you need development headers for either opengl or xv, I believe I told you
before. They are the reason you first try failed.)

Carl Eugen