[MPlayer-users] Audio Too Loud/Quiet

Sander Plas sander at seeas.nl
Mon Sep 5 22:27:23 CEST 2011

On 09/05/2011 09:55 PM, Antonio Recio wrote:
> I am watching some videos with great variations in the volume of the
> audio, sometimes is difficult to hear the dialogs and others times the
> music is too loud. Is there any way to filter the audio to diminish
> the variation of the volume?

There's "-ao volnorm" in standard MPlayer - see the mplayer manpage. It
works, but it's not great.

If you compile mplayer with LADSPA support, you can use the
'tap_limiter' plugin from the TAP-plugins package, see
http://tap-plugins.sourceforge.net/ , also available as a package on at
least Ubuntu.

If you're on Windows, try Breakaway Audio Enhancer
(http://www.claessonedwards.com/) - it's not free, but nothing beats it
in terms of audio quality.