[MPlayer-users] Is there mplayer for ARM?

Sat Sep 24 13:17:59 CEST 2011

Hi Krzysztof Duchnowski!

 On 2011.09.24 at 08:30:38 +0200, Krzysztof Duchnowski wrote next:

> On 24.09.2011 05:51, Thomas Copper wrote:
> > OR,mplayer for Android?
>
> Did you ever used AndroidMarket search engine or AndroLib?
> http://tinyurl.com/3pf3xhs
> http://tinyurl.com/3fhnqat

*sigh* I'd be very much interested in anything remotely usable,
mplayer or ffmpeg-based, for popular Tegra 2 devices. I understand that
2x1 Ghz arm core isn't that much and don't expect 720p playback without
HW acceleration, but at least 480/576p should be possible; however,
there is simply no good solution.

Sorry for a bit of OT on this list, I'm just surprised that android has
been out on market for 3 years and there is still no good media player
for it. Players like stock, realplayer and others that depend on HW
decoding can't parse subtitles from mkv files and can't process AC3
audio track, which is mostly used in all the files I tried. Players with
SW-based decoding mode mostly have no problems with mkv and text
subtitles, however *none* I checked out of many supports ssa/ass styles,
also none supports vobsub subtitles! None also parses aspect ratio from
.mkv file, resulting in improperly sized video - the only player which I
found that can set 4/3 or 16/9 resolution, "mobo player", has software
decoding quality so low (feels like disabled in-loop deblocking or 16
bits output or something like that ) so dark videos become completely
unwatchable, mess of pixels and banding everywhere. "mx player" has HQ
SW decoding mode in which quality is acceptable but doesn't support
setting arbitrary aspect, so you can't watch 4/3 video in there at all.

Besides, since compact screens of these portable devices are far from
perfect, at least some noise filter should be used to add some dithering
and hide video defects which appear on such screen even on good
material. However, no player supports anything like that. I looked for
mplayer port for android and tried a few, hoping to get solution to all
these problems (at very least, some ability to add "vf=noise=.."
somewhere, and vobsub & custom aspect support), however most mplayer
builds crash right away on both tegra 2 devices I have, and ones that
don't play video with severe lags at like 5 fps, even with neon
acceleration enabled. In addition, hopes to be able to change config
file manually were in vain, none of the solutions had this feature :-/

--

Vladimir