[MPlayer-users] Regression in version 34853 of mplayer, audio times out

stan RegBur_Flydan8 at q.com
Sat Apr 14 01:22:42 CEST 2012

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 19:52:00 +0200
Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 10:06:37AM -0700, stan wrote:
> > I'm using version 34853, and it is generating the message
> > Audio device got stuck!
> > when playing audio from the command line.  It happens
> > intermittently, anywhere from a few seconds up to a minute.  It
> > never used to do that. I am running Fedora F17, and the version of
> > mplayer (SVN-r34652) they have packaged does not have this issue.
>
> That just doesn't detect the issue.
> It is printed only when the audio device consumes data far slower than
> MPlayer expects.
> It's possible it doesn't quite work reliably with high precision
> timers, however there's a good chance the latency/playback position
> reporting by your hardware/driver is imprecise.
>
> >         if (sleep_time < 10)
> >             sleep_time = 10;                  // limit to 100
> > wakeups per second
>
> But you could try replacing these two lines with
> sleep_time += 10;

That decreased the problem, as did replacing the lines with
         if (sleep_time < 10)
             sleep_time = 11;                  // limit to 100 wakeups per second

If I just hard code the sleep time as
sleep_time = 12;                  // limit to 100 wakeups per second
everything works flawlessly.  I used wav, flac, and mp3
without the problem appearing.  The mp3 was voice, and I sped
it up and slowed it down, and jumped around without problem.  When I
did this I also commented the line
sleep_time = (ao_data.outburst - bytes_to_write) * 1000 / ao_data.bps;

It's a magic number that works on my system, not sure about others.