[MPlayer-users] mencoder and HD videos on multimedia player

Mathieu Westphal mathieu.westphal at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 22:32:50 CEST 2012

On 04/26/2012 11:38 AM, Krzysztof Duchnowski wrote:
> On 26.04.2012 10:32, Mathieu Westphal wrote:
>

>> I would like to use mencoder ! The problem is i don't know wich codec i
>> can use !
>> What mencoder command can i use to obtain the same process as above, in
>> a shorter period of time ?
>>
>> Also i would like to uderstend what is the difference between a standard
>> mencoder encoding (like let's say -ovc lavc -lavcopts codec=mpeg4 ) and
>> what your command do ?
>> As far as i understand the first command uncompress the video into a
>> temporary file and the second reencode it, all the thing in streaming.
>> The reencoing process only the video with a lot of options i don't
>> really understand.
>>
>> The last command take the sound of the original video and the video we
>> reencode into the final output.
>>
>> So i can guess that can be done with one or two mencoder command, but i
>> need your help for that.
>>
>> Am i right?
>>
> OK.
> But it will be either bigger file or worse quality as it will be encoded
> to Xvid where I've posted AVC1 encode earlier:
>
> mencoder -ass -oac copy -ovc xvid -xvidencopts
> fixed_quant=3:me_quality=1:noqpel:nogmc:lumi_mask:max_bframes=2:nopacked:profile=asp5:autoaspect
> -o output.avi input.mkv

This encoding work well with mplayer, but with bad quality and it does
NOT work on the multimedia player. The video just don't play.
However with a different (not hd) source file, i never experienced this
problem.

The first encoding (x264) seem to work well.
Is there anyway to use the x264 encoding in mencoder with more or less
the same options?

Thanks for helping

Mathieu