[MPlayer-users] rtmp audio only

Karoly Horvath rhswdev at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 13:32:02 CEST 2012

Hi,

I tried to play an rtmp audio only (radio) stream, but it hangs for
more than 90 seconds:
With a flash player it starts almost instantly.

mplayer -vo null -ao pcm:fast:file=test.wav ....

Tue Aug  7 11:50:14 BST 2012
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 65580 2012-08-07 11:49 test.wav
..... (nothing happening)
Tue Aug  7 11:51:57 BST 2012
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 65580 2012-08-07 11:49 test.wav
Tue Aug  7 11:51:58 BST 2012
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 34340864 2012-08-07 11:51 test.wav

I see that mplayer reads the stream, because the cache is filled quite fast.
I also created a simple audio filter, basically whenever af->play is
called, it will dump some data to the console.
I don't see any output for 90 seconds, then suddenly I see a big
burst, and lots of samples (from the previous 90 seconds) being
processed.

mplayers works perfectly for all the other streams I tested http,
rtsp, ... A+V streams and A(udio) only streams. It even works fine
with rtmp A+V streams.

It all looks like a buffering issue, but I have no idea why it only
happens with this specific protocol and audio only streams.

Any idea how to fix this?

Output can be seen here: http://pastebin.com/5rDepBZH  (note: I
changed the stream url in the output)
Look for 'WARN audio samples', that's the audio filter. The end of the
big burst is the point, when the cache empties:  'Cache empty,
consider [...]'. After that, you see normal operation.

Cheers,

--
Karoly Horvath