[MPlayer-users] minimal CPU requirement to play high bitrate 1080p video in software?

Ron Johnson ron.l.johnson at cox.net
Tue Aug 7 20:28:53 CEST 2012

On 08/07/2012 10:59 AM, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> I thought it would be an FAQ, but some searching didn't turn anything up.
>
> My HTPC has an intel GM35 which does not support libva/vaapi from what I was
> told.
>
> The CPU is a dual core duo 3Ghz (E8400) and playing 7MB/s 1080p 20MB/s
> encoded H264 mkv just isn't fast enough.
>
> I noticed that decoding is only done on one of the two CPUs. Is there a way
> to switch to a codec that can use both CPUs?
> If not, here's mplayer -v output if that helps. If there are other compile
> options I could use, or a different codec or video output I could force, let
> me know.
> (for instance, is 'xv' still my best output option?)

[snip]
>> VDec: vo config request - 1920 x 1080 (preferred colorspace: Planar 420P 10-bit little-endian)
>> VO: [xv] 1920x1080 => 1920x1080 Planar YV12  [zoom]

If your case supports it, I'd install a (small, cheap, fanless) Nvidia
G210 card, since with vdpau and the binary driver it supports almost
everything except 10-bit video.

--
If adults of legally sound mind must be told what foods they
are not allowed to buy, then those people are not competent