[MPlayer-users] minimal CPU requirement to play high bitrate 1080p video in software?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Aug 8 07:05:11 CEST 2012

On 7 Aug 2012, at 20:59, Marc MERLIN <marc_mplayer at merlins.org> wrote:

>> Your specific file is a 10-bit H.264 file, which and XVideo does not
>> support 10-bit surfaces (at least no implementation I know of does),
>> which means using xv needs and additional software conversion.
>> Unfortunately you cut the status line output, otherwise I could have
>> told you approximately how much performance that costs.
>
> Sorry. What do those lines look like so I can find them?

It's those starting with V: that give the current playback time. With xv the second % number should be about the CPU usage for conversion.

>> -vo gl should be able to handle 10-bit directly (on many cards at least).
>
> Actually I did try -vo gl, and it decodes in black, 2 shades of grey, and
> white, so it's not great :)

Yes, that happens when 16 bit textures are not working.
It should be working with Mesa driver versions released this year if using the i965 driver (the i915 is more complicated, I have a hack that makes it decode to around 8 shades of grey instead - a result I don't understand yet...).

> I have libgl1-mesa-dri 7.11.2-1 on debian 64bit on my laptop.

Not completely sure, but I suspect for your GPU it would work with something newer like mesa 8.0.3 or such.