[MPlayer-users] DVD cache setting

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Sat Aug 18 17:03:11 CEST 2012

On 08/18/2012 03:23 PM, Kevin DeKorte wrote:

> For awhile I have heard that DVDs should be played using the -nocache
> option. With modern DVD drives being so fast and the spin up spin down
> times actually causing lag which is the better option for DVD playback
>
> using cache with DVDs
>
> using dvd-speed=1 with DVDs (although this requires root privs, correct).
>
> Kevin

I don't know if the -nocache option for DVDs is still a suggested
option. AFAIK it had to do that with cache, two threads were spawned,
one reading, the other playing, which didn't fare too well with then's
DVD implementation. But it also varied if you used DVD or DVDNAV, and if
I remember correctly, quite a while ago (could be two years or more)
Nico mentioned that it wouldn't be necessary anymore using -nocache. But
there are certainly more informed people here on the list.

--
Cheers,
Alex