[MPlayer-users] Scaling and Cropping

Graham Lawrence gl00637 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 21:33:41 CEST 2012

I thank you both, Reimar and Alexander, for your help.  My apologies
for being unable to describe the problem better, my ignorance of video
technology is near total.  Let me try again without infusing any of my
interpretations as to what happened.

Using full screen mode at all times:
The original dvd presents on my 1920x1080 monitor as a centralized
720x480 image with surrounding black border.
The first encode, movie.2, presents as a 720x352 image occupying the
full width of the monitor, black borders top and bottom.  Objects are
distorted, being wider than they should be relative to their height.
AFAIK, no crop operation was performed in this encode, certainly none
was specified.
The crop operation was performed on movie.2 to produce movie.avi.
This seems to present identically to movie.2, but it can be gotten to
return to the original 720x480 presentation using -y 480.  That has no
effect on movie.2

In summary, the presented picture can be induced to expand or contract
horizontally, along the x-axis.  There is never any change in the
height of the picture along the y-axis.

--
Graham Lawrence