[MPlayer-users] How to get the duration(ID_LENGTH) of a Sony MTS video file use "mplayer"?

littlebat dashing.meng at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 12:02:36 CEST 2012

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 14:38:12 +0200
Nico Sabbi <nicola.sabbi at poste.it> wrote:

> littlebat ha scritto:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I always use "mplayer filename -identify -ao null -vo null -frames
> > 0" to get the information of a video file. But, I found mplayer
> > can't get the correct duration of a Sony DV MTS file
> > (ID_LENGTH=0.00) while the "ffmpeg -i MTSfilename" can get the
> > correct duration time. I compiled the mplayer from lastest svn
> > source.
> >
> > My question is:
> > Why "mplayer" can't get the correct duration time of a MTS file?
> > How to get the duration(ID_LENGTH) of a Sony MTS video file use
> > "mplayer"?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > PS:
> > Below is the command output(mplayer, ffmpeg, mediainfo, please tell
> > me if need sample file):
> > 1), mplayer output:
> > mdx at debian:~/desk/testmm$ mplayer 00142.MTS -identify -ao null -vo
> > null -frames 0
> > MPlayer SVN-r35126-4.4.5 (C) 2000-2012 MPlayer Team
> >

> $ mplayer 00142.MTS  -ao null -vo null -vc null        or
> $ mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -o /dev/null  00142.MTS
>
> At the end watch the duration expressed in seconds in the status bar.

Thanks. Your answer can't help me. I have found the reason is mplayer
can't choose correct demuxer for this kind of video file. All is ok if I
use command "mplayer test.MTS -demuxer lavf  -identify -ao null -vo null
-frames 0".

I found the similar question from : [MPlayer-users] No Video for .TS
files (with H.264 Video)
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2010-January/078763.html

I has the same viewpoint as Andreas Allacher in the link above, it isn't
a good way to add extra parameter "-demuxer lavf" manually. It is the
best if the mplayer can select the correct demuxer automatically. So,
according to the advice of Carl Eugen in the link above, I post a
sample file(10M size). if anyone need this file to hack the mplayer
source, you can also download it at: http://www.learndiary.com/test.MTS