[MPlayer-users] DVDs sort of broken by r35250

Josh joshf87 at live.com
Mon Dec 3 17:35:36 CET 2012

I am giving an update on this because I have made some developments.
Something is definitely broken. First off, I use the following patch,
because without it it appears as if mplayer hangs and on some systems it
takes longer to create the font cache so at least users know something
is happening:
https://github.com/sherpya/MPlayer-patches/blob/master/patches/54_fontconfig_verbosecache.diff

I set my fontconfig directory to the following in fonts.conf:
<cachedir>LOCAL_APPDATA_FONTCONFIG_CACHE</cachedir>

That was all well until r35250 detected and defined HAVE_DIRECT_H, which
causes a block of code in libdvdcss.c to be compiled (it's the only
other '#if HAVE_DIRECT_H' that isn't including the header itself). Now,
setting the cache dir to LOCAL_APPDATA_FONTCONFIG_CACHE can't be used in
conjunction with the verbose cache patch. It produces the crash that
I've been getting with DVDs and ASS subtitles enabled. I downloaded
SubJunk's SB44 build and wondered why his didn't crash, his cachedir
value is set to WINDOWSTEMPDIR_FONTCONFIG_CACHE. When I set my
fonts.conf to use WINDOWSTEMPDIR_FONTCONFIG_CACHE, it doesn't crash on
DVDs/ASS. Also if I modify SubJunk SB44 to use
LOCAL_APPDATA_FONTCONFIG_CACHE it too crashes in the same manner as my
build. Using WINDOWSTEMPDIR_FONTCONFIG_CACHE isn't desirable because the
font cache will get deleted when temp files are deleted.

To have my cake and eat it too (verbose message and able to use
LOCAL_APPDATA_FONTCONFIG_CACHE) I have commented out the code in
libdvdcss.c for "#if HAVE_DIRECT_H".