[MPlayer-users] Reverting to specific revision

Ilja Sekler ilja_sekler_ at gmx.de
Mon Dec 24 12:50:36 CET 2012

Am 24.12.2012 12:08, schrieb John Brown:
> To my horror, I see that FFmpeg's version control system is now using git.
> My problem is that the current revision [...] cannot be built [...]
>
> Google tells me that I can go back to earlier revisions with, for example:
> cd ffmpeg
> git checkout master~1
>
> but the largest offset that works is 8. Similarly, `git log' seems to
> show only the last 24 hours.
>
> I want to go back a few *days* at a time until I succeed in building
> MPlayer. How can I do that?

In the ffmpeg directory:

git rev-list master -n 1 --first-parent --before="YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm"

The command above returns the $REVISION you can check out with the usual

git checkout $REVISION

In one step:

git checkout $(git rev-list master -n 1 --first-parent
--before="YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm")

(as a single line).

HTH

--