[MPlayer-users] 1080p/60fps plays fine in vlc, not in mplayer

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Dec 26 01:27:47 CET 2012

Grant <emailgrant <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I usually find that mplayer has somewhat better performance than vlc,
> but the 1080p/60fps videos produced by my Sony digital camera play
> smoothly in vlc but without A/V sync on mplayer.  I'm comparing 'vlc
> file.mkv' and 'mplayer file.mkv'.  Does anyone know why vlc seems to
> be more performant than mplayer with these particular videos?

Complete, uncut console output and sample missing.

> Does mplayer take advantage of my multi-core CPU?

Certainly, if you tell mplayer that it should use them.
(-lavdopts threads=0)
I don't think vlc is particularly slow, but I would be very
surprised if MPlayer isn't faster on careful comparison.
(They use different defaults, I prefer how
MPlayer handles multithreading.)

Carl Eugen