[MPlayer-users] Can mplayer play 10-bit mkv files?

Wed Feb 1 09:14:54 CET 2012

Hi Joseph D. Wagner!

 On 2012.01.31 at 22:26:27 -0800, Joseph D. Wagner wrote next:

> You'll have to forgive me.  I'm not very familiar with the various
> encoding mechanisms.
>
> I remember mplayer had some issues supporting 10-bit encoding in the
> past.  I was wondering if that was still the case.

There are no serious issues with current mplayer or mplayer2, provided
that you are using recent ffmpeg.

The non-serious issue is that no video filters support 10bit 420P plane,
so when using any, even if it's simple filter like noise or ass
downconverts video to 8-bit before filtering and it's displayed as
8-bit. There are debates in the internet on how much it hurts quality,
but according to my own testing, I've seen no difference.

If you are ok with not using any filter, you can get pure 10bit output
by specifying -vf-clr, it works at least with -vo gl. However this is
really nitpicking and for most people shouldn't matter IMHO.

If you find any problem with latest mplayer & ffmpeg, report it right
away, because everything "works for me" here.

--

Vladimir