[MPlayer-users] How to generate soft subtitles with mencoder ?

Mark Blain mblain2 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 2 01:37:54 CET 2012

a a <you2bepie at yahoo.com> wrote in
news:1328053863.7022.YahooMailClassic at web112908.mail.gq1.yahoo.com:

> Ok. I extract the subtitles via mkvextract tracks #:output.srt
> -
> but how do I play the avi file with the subtitles in the srt file
> ? Both vlc and mplayer do not recognize the format of the srt file
> ?

Both those programs can be configured to automatically open a
subtitle file with the same base name as the video. If it is not
recognized even when opened manually, check the contents. Here's
what .SRT data should look like:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SubRip#SubRip_.srt_file_example>

MKVMERGE -i filename.MKV will list tracks by number and show
the type of each.  'S_TEXT/UTF8' should be SRT data.
<http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/doc/mkvextract.html#mkvextract.output_file_formats>